Planning Department (ESL)
20 N. Main St.
Brooksville, FL 34601
Fax: (352) 754-4420
The Environmentally Sensitive Lands (ESL) Program is dedicated to the protection and management of County Preserves for their natural resources and recreational uses compatible with conservation. The program and initial funding was voter approved in 1988.
The program supports Preserves and County projects in environmentally sensitive habitats that:
- Meet the program’s criteria and policies’ (link to ESL Policies & Manual )
- Have been approved by the Board of County Commissions
- Benefit the public
Hernando County’s natural, cultural, and scenic resources, are being preserved and enhanced for our quality of life on the Adventure Coast.
Benefits of Sensitive Lands to our Communities:
- Protection of water quality for our rivers, estuaries, springs, and drinking water;
- Protection of water recharge areas;
- Preservation and restoration of sensitive wildlife habitats and scenic landscapes;
- Nature-based recreational opportunities;
- Ecotourism, estimated to provide more than $100,000 in annual tourist tax revenue; and
- Provide outdoor educational experiences.