621 W. Jefferson St.
Brooksville, FL 34601
Fax (352) 754-4168
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 AM - 5 PM
(excluding legal holidays)
Portability Procedures for Porting to Hernando County
The Hernando County Housing Authority knows that moving is stressful and can be especially stressful when moving to a new state. We will accommodate you as much as possible, but please realize that families must be prepared before moving.
This is what is necessary before planning your move to Hernando County:
- Before coming to our area, please do thorough research of the factors to consider; such as: the job market, cost of living, local rent prices, crime in the area, adequate daycare and types of schools, etc. Next, you should question your reason for relocating: Numerous families will come to Hernando County, but leave their support systems at their previous state/county/city; which then results in wanting to port back the following year. You need to question if you will have adequate financial means for approximately 45-60 days to support yourself and family during this transition period.
- The Hernando County Housing Authority will NOT add additional members to the voucher when first coming to area. If you want to add household members, please add them at your initiating housing authority before you move.
- The Hernando County Housing Authority is not absorbing and will be billing your initial housing authority. All paperwork can be sent via email to HernandoPorts@HernandoCounty.us, via fax to 352-754-4168 attn: Portability, or via the mail to 621 W. Jefferson Street, Brooksville, FL 34601.
- Again, you must have housing accommodations for at least 45-60 days prior to being leased in a new unit. Once The Hernando County Housing Authority receives your paperwork from your current housing authority, you need to contact our office to schedule an appointment; you will typically be seen within two weeks. However, keep in mind that there are other obstacles that must be addressed such as finding an affordable unit, finding a unit that may not pass inspection the first time or at all, security deposit payments, transportation, etc.
- Appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis and are NOT negotiable. The date set for the appointment is the date made due to our staff’s availability. Please be on time; failure to arrive on time may result in your appointment being rescheduled. Please come to your appointment prepared with all documents necessary such as photo ID, social security cards for all household members, birth certificates, all income information, all asset information, 50 states background check (for all household members over the age of 18), marriage license or divorce decree if applicable (the state of Florida does not legally recognize separation, so any marriages must be verified), etc. If you do not come prepared to your appointment, it will delay the issuance of the voucher. All household members over the age of 18 must be in attendance; if someone over the age of 18 is not here on the appointment date, you will not be seen or issued a voucher that day.
Please keep in mind, if you move into a unit prior to it passing inspection, The Hernando County Housing Authority will NOT be able to pay ANY rent until the day it passes; therefore, you will be responsible for any rents owed to the owner.