For questions related to Hernando County and COVID-19, call the COVID-19 Public Information Center line at:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday
18900 Cortez Boulevard
Brooksville, FL 34601
Emergency Management and the Florida Department of Health in Hernando County encourage residents to remain informed. We can all help to prevent the spread of disease by:
1. Washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
2. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
3. Avoid close contact with people who are sick, and stay home when you are sick
4. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
5. Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
Monitor trusted sources of information such as the Health Department website at www.FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19 and the CDC at www.CDC.gov to learn the facts and to follow recommendations to prevent the spread of disease.
Visit https://flicg.org/county-by-county-covid-19-information/ for a list of all Florida County’s COVID-19 policies and orders.
Animal Services shelter location open by appointment only
The Hernando County Animal Services (HCAS) shelter, located at 19450 Oliver Street in Brooksville, will be handling business by appointment only beginning March 24, 2020 to comply with CDC guidelines and prevent the spread of disease. The following shelter operations will be handled electronically or by appointment only:
- Initial viewing of animals available for adoption by the public can be done by visiting www.Facebook.com/HernandoCountyAnimalServices
- Adoption applications can be found at: https://www.hernandocounty.us/home/showdocument?id=22 and sent via email to AC@HernandoCounty.us or fax to (352) 796-3746
- Adoptions will be by appointment only once an adoption application has been approved. Call HCAS at (352) 796-5062 to schedule your adoption appointment
- Return to owner transactions will be by appointment only. Call HCAS at (352) 796-5062 to schedule your appointment
- Animals knowingly exposed to COVID-19 will be directed to shelter in place with the family in their household
- Animals that come to HCAS that have been exposed to COVID-19 will be housed in an established quarantine area at the shelter where the on-staff veterinarian will establish protocols for care
- The HCAS volunteer program has been suspended until further notice
Contact HCAS at (352) 796-5062 for additional information.
Hernando County Government’s Office of Emergency Management continues to monitor this rapidly evolving situation. Visit the following web and social media sites for more information:
- Residents should monitor trusted sources of information such as the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) website at www.FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at www.CDC.gov to learn the facts and to follow recommendations to prevent the spread of disease.
- FDOH has set up a call center for general questions regarding COVID-19 at (866) 779-6121, operating 24/7
- Visit www.HernandoCounty.us/COVID19 for information on all Hernando County Government updates regarding COVID-19
- For information on refreshing your emergency supply kits and plans go to www.HernandoCounty.us/em
- Sign up to receive emergency alerts at www.AlertHernando.org
- Follow us on Facebook @HernandoCoGov
- Follow us on Twitter @HernandoCoGov