Holiday office closures and trash collection schedule
Hernando County government offices, Animal Services, Library Services and Transit Services (TheBus) will be closed on the following dates to observe the upcoming holidays:
- Tuesday, December 24, 2019 in observance of Christmas Eve
- Wednesday, December 25, 2019 in observance of Christmas
- Wednesday, January 1, 2020 in observance of New Year’s Day
Hernando County Solid Waste facilities:
All Hernando County Solid Waste facilities will also be closed Wednesday, December 25, 2019 and Wednesday, January 1, 2020. The holiday trash, recycling and yard waste collection schedule is as follows:
There will be no recycling or yard waste picked up on:
- Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25, 2019
- New Year’s Day, Wednesday, January 1, 2020
Recycling and yard waste will be picked up on the next regularly scheduled service date as follows:
- Both Christmas & New Year’s recycling and yard waste will be picked up on Wednesday, January 8 (triple pickup)
Trash schedules will be unaffected; however, due to increased volume of trash following the holidays, there may still be delays in trash pickup. Any missed pickups will be completed the next business day.
What to expect on a triple pick up day:
Due to the increased volume of trash and recycling following a holiday, Republic Services will be working extra hard to ensure that all customers are serviced. Please expect the following on a triple pick up day:
- Your trash may be picked up earlier or later than the usual time so please set at curb before 6 a.m.
- Extra trucks may be working in your neighborhood
- Trucks may run late into the evening beyond normal work hours
- Holiday trash and recycling pickup may be delayed; in this event, this will also delay normal trash and recycling pickups for the week. Any missed pickups will be completed the next business day
Drop off available:
All Hernando County Solid Waste facilities will be closed on December 25, 2019 and January 1, 2020; however, these facilities will be open during normal business hours the remainder of these weeks for residents wishing to dispose of excess trash, recycling or yard waste. Go to https://www.hernandocounty.us/departments/departments-n-z/solid-waste-and-recycling/solid-waste-facilities-drop-off-information/-fsiteid-1 for facility locations. Recycling drop off is available any time at the drop off centers located at the Walmart Supercenter on Cortez Boulevard and the Hernando County Government Center on East Jefferson Street.
Christmas tree disposal:
Live Christmas trees may be disposed of on yard waste day, which is every Wednesday. Trees must be cut to less than four-foot lengths and cleaned of all Christmas decorations, including tinsel.
Artificial Christmas tree segments under four feet long and decorations may be disposed of as a free bulk item. Call Republic Services at (352) 540-6457 before January 31, 2020 to schedule a bulk pickup.
Please contact Republic Services at (352) 540-6457 should you have questions.